- Westminster, CO
- Full Time
- Mid Level
Caliper Holdings was founded in 2015 on the belief that cannabinoids represent a new category of functional ingredients, but their promise will only be realized if we can push past the hype and focus on developing standardized, consistent, clinically validated consumer products. Our CBD division, Caliper Foods, includes Caliper, the only CBD brand with clinically proven fast-acting products, and Caliper Ingredients, the only supplier of standardized, compliant, clean-label cannabinoid ingredients that come with FTC-grade pharmacokinetic claims. Our THC division, Ripple, produces and sells THC edibles brand in Colorado and Michigan, and is the only THC brand with clinically proven fast-acting products.
About the Job
We are looking for an Associate Counsel to handle day-to-day legal tasks across our different lines of business. You will work on legal matters across a wide range of areas, including commercial contracts, strategic agreements, risk mitigation strategies, corporate governance, regulatory filings, and intellectual property protection and licensing. You’ll work directly with team members across the organization to spot legal issues and collaboratively figure out how to move the business forward while managing (but not wholly eliminating) legal and regulatory risk. Over time, we’ll come to rely on you as our go-to person for help answering regulatory questions and devising creative solutions to novel business issues.
We are a 100% vaccinated company. All employees must either be fully vaccinated or in the process of becoming fully vaccinated for COVID-19.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Drafting, reviewing, and negotiating commercial agreements in all facets of our business — partnerships, sales, real estate, financing, advertising, etc.
- Developing and executing a risk mitigation strategy encompassing insurance and non-traditional mitigation measures to protect the company/staff, fulfill regulatory requirements, and support new business development
- Overseeing corporate governance matters, including Board of Directors meetings, corporate records, and regulatory filings
- Managing our IP portfolio and developing a forward-looking IP strategy, including leading any new necessary filings
- Administering our stock plan and handling all equity compensation records and agreements
- Keeping updated on evolving state and national marijuana and hemp regulations and understanding which doors such regulatory changes open and close for our business
- Selecting and managing outside counsel relationships to assist in all of the above with an eye toward efficiency in time and cost
What we’ll love about you:
- You’re a lawyer, but not one of those lawyers — you understand that taking risks is part of doing business, so you better understand the risks the business is taking.
- You’re a top-notch issue spotter, but you get a greater charge from solving issues than from merely pointing them out.
- You love working on hard technical and business problems in a fast-paced environment with really smart, high-integrity people.
- You can coherently explain legal issues without alienating non-attorneys or omitting crucial nuances (and you hate writing memos!).
- Your default answer to any question isn’t “no, that’s too risky,” but rather, “yes, and here’s how we can manage the risk.”
- You’ve spent enough time working at law firms to know their strengths and weaknesses
- You are constantly learning new things, and you love it.
What you’ll love about us:
- We are a team of competent, motivated, diverse, and decent adults.
- We offer competitive compensation, 100% paid health benefits, sick leave, 401k, and a fun, relaxed office environment.
- We value reasoned debate over political maneuvering. We try to do the right thing and, more importantly, we try to identify and admit when we don’t.
- We offer flexible PTO for all full-time employees. We too value health, relaxation, and spending time with friends and family.
- Fire drills are the exception, not the norm.
- For more details on the culture we foster, visit: trycaliper.com/values
- A law degree from an accredited institution and an active law license in Colorado.
- 5+ years practicing law in a relevant specialty — commercial contracts experience is a must; some IP and/or employment law experience is preferred.
- 2+ years experience practicing law in-house, preferably at a technology company, food or supplements company, or other fast-paced startup environment.
- Some knowledge of, and affinity for, the cannabis and hemp industries, particularly as to their unique legal and regulatory issues.
- $120k-$140k annually
Caliper Foods is committed to creating and celebrating a diverse work environment. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and hire solely on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.