About Caliper Foods
Caliper Foods (caliperfoods.life), formerly Stillwater, is a consumer packaged goods company that offers safe and standardized hemp-derived soluble cannabinoids to both consumers and manufacturers alike.
Caliper Foods encompasses two distinct business lines: (1) Caliper Commercial Ingredients, which provides soluble CBD ingredients at scale to food, beverage, supplement, and other CPG manufacturers; and (2) Caliper Consumer, which sells its own line of CBD-infused products nationwide.
Caliper Foods was founded in 2015 on the belief that cannabinoids, especially non-psychoactive compounds like CBD, are a major new category in functional ingredients.
About the Job
We are looking for a Senior Food Scientist to develop high quality, cannabinoid based functional foods designed for broad scale consumer markets. This is a fast paced and dynamic role that leverages the applied sciences for near term product commercialization. The role is R&D based with significant growth opportunities in Caliper Foods.
What you’ll be responsible for:
- Develop industry leading, cannabinoid based, functional foods and beverages. Application is business to business focused, leveraging Caliper Foods water soluble technologies across multiple product formats. This requires:
- In depth knowledge of existing product portfolio and processes.
- Expertise in both ingredient functionality and processing to control for consistency at scale.
- Formulation development, scale up tests, shelf life testing and documentation
- Creation of Design of Experiments (DOE) when appropriate.
- Effective documentation of results through reports, databases, graphs, data analysis and white papers
- Work closely with new clients to ensure flawless integration of Caliper Foods products into their business needs at the R&D and production level
- Manage existing clients for technical needs - shelf life, product quality, future and existing applications
- Work closely with sales to provide technical information in customer friendly, easy to understand formats
- Actively seek to expand our water soluble technologies, internally and externally
- Develop and commercialize new product platforms in the skin care and beauty space
- Develop new products for blue sky applications
- Work closely with food based vendors, such as flavor houses, ingredient suppliers, natural color suppliers and carrier oils to recommend and develop new ingredient solutions
- Create new product and ingredient specifications
- Understand basic food label needs for organic, kosher, non artificial, allergens and customer “clean label” requirements
- Guide sourcing of new raw materials for functionality, quality and labeling requirements
- Ensure product quality, documentation and food safety needs are met for new products
- Ability to work with coman operations
- Work effectively and safely in a food manufacturing environment
What we’ll love about you:
A process-oriented problem solver who can manage complex situations without panicking
A team player with a distaste for mercenaries
An organized, proactive nature that loves building systems and tools
An emotionally mature adult who prefers to work with other emotionally mature adults
An inquisitive, curious nature that views ignorance as an opportunity to learn or teach
A willingness to admit error quickly and move immediately on to improvement
A clear communicator in any format
Excellent time management skills
What you’ll love about us:
- A fast-growing company with a deep belief in the value of developing talent internally from within
- A group of sane, rational executives who try their best to be decent human beings
- An environment where fire drills are the exception, not the norm
- We offer flexible PTO for all full-time employees
- We pay competitive salaries for all roles. For salaried employees, we also cover 100% of your healthcare premium
- For more details on the culture we foster, visit: http://bit.ly/2F5zhPt
- Master of Science preferred with 5+ years of product development experience
- A deep scientific understanding of food systems
- Diverse food processing scale up experience
- Scientific foresight to predict and address product modes of failure early in the development cycle
- A strong drive for results
- Enjoys the applied sciences and can creatively leverage it for product development
- Strong problem solving skills
- Enjoys working in a team environment
- Values data driven design but is comfortable moving ahead when working with limited data or information through intentful risk assessments.
- Exercises sound decision making skills under pressure
- Experience in DOE and MiniTab
- Deep understanding of ingredient functionality
- Experience in food emulsions and beverage formulation
Caliper Foods is committed to creating and celebrating a diverse work environment. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and hire solely on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.